NAATI conducts a lot of language tests. In March 2018, NAATI introduced a new testing system for individuals seeking to migrate to Australia. This test is called Credentialed Community Language Test or CCL. It is a language ability assessment test at a community level and is commonly used to earn immigration points for Australia.
1. CCL Parameters & its Points
NAATI is a body that offers certifications to people to work as a translator or interpreter in Australia but passing your CCL test does not make you certified to work as an interpreter or a translator as it is not a professional certification.
It only is applicable to lodge into point-based visa applications for Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (subclass 489), Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190), or Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189). After passing the test successfully, the applicants will be granted 5 bonus points. These bonus points are also known as Credentialed Community Language Points.
2. Available languages for NAATI CCL
There are roughly 6,500 languages spoken around the globe, but NAATI conducts the CCL test in only 47 following languages.
3. CCL Test charges
NAATI examines not a cheap test. GST is not payable for many international residents, and NAATI does not apply it. Similarly, NAATI exam fees make up about 800 dollars (including GST). A credit card or direct deposit can be used for payment.
4. NAATI CCL Test Application Process
An individual can simply apply online via the NAATI official Web site for the placement of a CCL test. So, You must attach a passport size photograph and a scanned image of the passport. In addition, The passport has to be in pdf, and the photo must be in JPEG format.
5. Test prerequisites
NAATI CCL testing is carried out online through Proctor Exam. However, Candidates will get an e-mail with instructions for checking their equipment and access to the online platform about one week before the test day.
Similarly ,The Proctor Exam e-mail is critical, so check the inbox as well as the spam/junk folder. Make sure that your system check has been completed 48 hours before the test is conducted.
6. NAATI CCL Test rules
- The test must be carried out in a place free of distractions, background noise, and others. So, At the beginning of the NAATI language test, the test location is checked.
- Devices other than the device used in the test must be shut down (including mobile phones, laptops, tablets, and other smart devices).In addition, Any student using a device for recording or photographing test material or communicating with a third will have their test cancelled.
- For attestation purposes, candidates must provide proof of identity (i.e., the photo ID provided – usually driver’s licence or passport). This should display to the camera before the test begins.
- When there is a doubt concerning the test taker’s identity, the CCL test result will not be declared.
- All applicants must be online and logged in at the time advised to attend the session. However, You’re not going to be tested if you are late.
- A total of 20 minutes will be required to complete your exam. Tests are ceased if they run too long.
- Test taker video is recorded while giving the test, and it will be reviewed before the test is being assessed.
- Any failure to comply with the NAATI test policy may invalidate the test.
7. NAATI CCL Test topics
A variety of topics are approached in the CCL NAATI test. The dialogues used in the test portray real-life situations of Australian society. The content is designed to determine the ability of a test taker to understand and communicate in both languages. So, The topics may include:
- Consumer Affairs
- Social Services
8. Equipment Needed For NAATI Test Australia
NAATI CCL is carring online via Microsoft Teams. Therefore, You can use a computer to take it from your home. Just make sure that you have
- A laptop or computer
- Functioning microphone and webcam
- A headset or standard mobile earphones
- Stable Internet connection
- The latest version of the Google Chrome web browser
- A cellphone that will use as a second camera to record your environment. So , You will have to download the Proctor Exam app in it. Moreover, The app is compatible with any iOS (Apple) 10.0 or higher and Android 4.1 or higher.
9. CCL Testing, Marking and Passing System
The CCL test consists of two conversations, and the examiner uses a deductive marking system for each dialogue. At least two qualified examiners independently mark CCL tests. In addition, They consider the types of error in the candidate’s performance and their impact on the determination of deductions.
Above all, A mark of 45 is allocate to each dialogue. To pass the test, a candidate must score a minimum of 29 out of 45 for every dialogue and a minimum of 63 out of 90 in total. After that , When NAATI issues the NAATI test result, it is based on the achieved marks:
- PASS: 63 or more (out of 90)
- MARGINAL FAIL: 55 – 62.5 (out of 90)
- CLEAR FAIL: less than 55 (out of 90)
10. CCL Test Material
Some institutions and training bodies offer NAATI test preparation courses intended to prepare for the NAATI CCL Test. NAATI does not formally endorse such courses, although these encourage training for any language-related test. So, NAATI only establishes the test and issues CCL results. NAATI official website also provides practice NAATI CCL material.